Management Consulting Specialties
We specialize in the following management consulting areas. Representative projects are listed below.
Development and preparation of business strategies and plans
- to aid financing
- for product development, corporate development, human resources, marketing, other planning
Technical, commercial, or full due diligence
- for underwriters, venture capitalists, other potential investors
- for companies to determine viability/value of potential licensed technologies
Business, competitive and financial analyses; opportunity/commercial assessments
- to determine economic viability
- for business/product planning
- for strategic alliances
Product development and commercialization recommendations and planning
- from laboratory bench to international market place
- for research, development and other strategic contracts and agreements
- Creator of eight successful Asset Maps for the BC Ministry of Small Business, Technology and Economic Development (Infectious Diseases, Oncology, Regenerative Medicine, Neurosciences, Marine Biosciences), Genome BC (Genome Sciences, Clinical Trials and Preclinical Infrastructure) and Industry Canada (Canadian Asset Map for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine).
- Key member of successful business planning and application team that raised $36 million in federal funds for Genome BC.
- Key member of a scientific project team that competitively obtained $5M from Genome Canada and $1.44M from major pharmaceutical company.
- Business member of three other research proposal teams, significantly aiding their successful receipt of funding.
- Member of Genome BC business and project strategy advisory teams for the Genome Canada 2004-2005, 2008-2009, 2010 and 2011 genomics research competitions, and interim reviews in 2006, 2007 and 2011.
- Development and implementation of novel methods for analyzing and evaluating product and development project portfolios, and their potential impact on the long-term business of major multinational pharmaceutical companies.
- Production of detailed business plan and recommendations for Customer Advocacy Group at a major US-based multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Business assessments and competitive analyses for government and biopharmaceutical and diagnostic companies, including projects dealing with British Columbia’s strengths and opportunities, the introduction of new diagnostic tests (for diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, genetic diseases) and new pharmaceutical products.
- Development of strategic, business, research/product development, and marketing plans for start-up and established Canadian-based biopharmaceutical, human diagnostics, contract research, and not-for-profit life sciences organizations, including those involved in genomics, bioinformatics, cancer, infectious diseases, and metabolic diseases.
- Development of management and business strategies for a potential Canadian Bioinformatics Integration Network Centre of Excellence.
- On behalf of Canadian underwriters and venture capital companies, conducted full, technical, and/or commercial due diligence on US- and Canadian-based biopharmaceutical, medical device and diagnostic companies for successful IPOs on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), for potential initial listing on the TSX Venture Exchange, and for private investment activities.
- Conducted technical due diligence on technology for manufacturing generic drugs, diabetes products, nutraceuticals, protein drugs, for Canadian biopharmaceutical companies.
- Assessment of the Canadian biomedical industry for a major Canadian brokerage house, reviewing and analyzing individual publicly listed companies and identifying investment opportunities.
- Planned and implemented the international strategic and commercial development of anticancer and antiviral products for a major UK-based multinational pharmaceutical company, setting them on paths for successful market introduction or quick termination of development.
- Co-author and -manager of the Biotechnology Bundling Survey Project for Industry Canada, surveying firms in western Canada and Washington state for their interest in partnering with other companies to pool resources, lessen the cost of development and commercialization, and attract serious investors; recommending further action to encourage bundling.
- Co-author and -manager of the Western Canadian Clinical Trials Resources Inventory for Western Economic Diversification, surveying Canadian and US pharmaceutical companies, analyzing their requirements for clinical investigators and their clinical investment in western Canada; surveying western Canadian clinical investigators and analyzing their current activities and interests; recommending a pan-western network structure and marketing program.
- Western Canadian partner in Human Resources in the Biotechnology Industry project for Human Resources Canada, interviewing and reporting on western Canadian biotech companies and educational establishments to determine their current and future human resource needs or supply; participating in production of recommendations to government.
- Manager and author of Pharmaceutical R&D Services/Biotechnology study for the B.C. Trade Development Corporation, surveying B.C.'s biopharmaceutical and related services industry; making recommendations for formal networking activities to aid their international marketing.
- Initiated, managed and reported multinational clinical trials and volunteer clinical safety studies for major UK-based multinational pharmaceutical company, leading to successful receipt of international marketing authorizations for products studied.
- Developed and implemented global post-marketing surveillance study to form largest database of drug-use in pregnancy for any pharmaceutical product.
- Active member of organizing committees for Pacific Northwest Biotechnology Exposition in 1995 and 1998, responsible for exhibitors from throughout Canada and the USA in 1995, and for the conference program in 1998; Chair of session on Product Development in 1998.